~ 1 ~
East Finchley Time Line The information below comes from various sources and accuracy cannot be 100% guaranteed For the notes of the EF winter festival history walk visit www.tonero.me.uk/walk2013.htm 968 Sandgate mentioned in Edward the Confessor’s land charter 1190’s Bishop passes land to Friern Barnet Hospitallers 1199 King John awards a charter to the residents exempting them from tax on goods entering London. First mention of Finchley Manor 1227 Pre, Bishops Park in existence 1298 Demesne estates created out of the woodland by this date 1300’s new road over the common, settlements at East End and North End 1318 Lords field and Little Redings converted to arable use 1318 Hunting in Bishop’s park probably ended 1349 John Monypeny left tenements in his will 1365 First hamlet at East End 1374 First mention of Finchley Manor!? 1400’s-1700’s Highway robberies took place 1410 Finchley Wood herbage rights existed 1365, 75 East End and park Gate first mentioned Allen buys Finchley Manor from Bishop 1423 Hunts or Hunters Green mentioned 1437 Hunts Green mentioned 1441 Hunting lodge in ruins 1484 Thomas Sanny prosecuted for not having enough hops in his beer 1491 The Bishop’s interests in Finchley pass to the Lordship of Hornsey 1500’s Much conflict between Finchley men and the Bishop over pasture rights vs. timber protection 1500’s Original Elm House, predecessor of Elmhurst first built 1504 First use of the word Common for Finchley Wood 1506 Thomas Sanny gives land including pub to church for the poor (Homefield, Poor Tom’s) 1530 Worthy House, N side of EER by Hunters Green mentioned 1545 Timber was supplied to Tower of London and Westminster Palace 1548 Redings was a tenement by then 1577 Good Robins (at park gate) mentioned 1593 Well at Brownswell ‘re-edified’ 1598 Knightons first mentioned 1612 Alms Houses constructed at Pointall’s , since rebuilt 1623 A cottage known at Brownswell
~ 2 ~
1634 By then Ossulstone Hundred had 4 divisions Kensington, Holborn, Finsbury and Tower 1645 The bishop reserved all timber . At that time there was a great store of Oak and Hornbeam. He leased out areas of woodland in his park 1647 A survey upheld the joint rights of freeholders, copyholders and leaseholders of Finchley and Hornsey to all commons and wastes within the parish 1647 there were 2 cottages on the common (rising to 3 in 1651, 9 in 1652 and 25 in 1655) 1677-8 Cuckolds Haven in existence 1680s Thomas Odell of the George started twice weekly hog market, pigs on Pound Road 1686 Cromwell Hall was conveyed to Thomas Pengelly Late 1600’s bushes, furze, leaf mould, loam, sand and gravel were taken from the common. 1700’s Common was thinning out 1709 Hog Market (according to Wiki there had been a Hog market since end C17) 1716 The original George public house built. Market: pigs sold on Monday were penned behind the George from Saturday 1716 Fleur de Lis/Dirthouse/White Lion (1902) appeared 1718 Huntsman at Brownswell (became Green Man in 1731, finally demolished 1990s) 1721 Prospect House built 1724 Highwayman Dick Sheppard captured 1726 Two houses at Bull Lane/Long Lane (extended 1776 to 5 cottages) 1730s permanent gibbet installed on common by intersection of modern-day Lincoln Rd 1738 Bald-faced Stag appeared (licensed in 1790, orig. Jolly Blacksmiths) 1744 Bishop’s park allocated to tenants 1749 Oak Lodge existed (originally 3 tenements) 1751 Five Bells in existence (first recorded licensee) 1754 3 buildings at Brownswell 1774 Corporation of London claims the right to tax hay sold at Smithfield 1780 Oak Lodge rebuilt 1790’s Hampstead Lane diverted north at Kenwood House 1800 common denuded 1800 Bishop sells High Reding for development (Park Place) 1800’s East End Road named (but dates from 1300s) [Manor Lane, Finchley Road etc.] 1801 256 houses in Finchley 1802 Belle Vue EER in existence – replaced earlier house 1803 Verandah House Park Road 1804/4 Five Bells moved from Stanley Road to current site 1804 Congregationalists become active in EF
~ 3 ~
1808-1835 workhouse on Philipe Lane/Green Lane/Workhouse Lane now Briar Close 1809 4 villas built on Park Place 1808-35 Workhouse in Green Lane (aka Philipe Lane, Briar Close) 1811 Inclosure Act received royal assent 1816 Enclosure of the Common Award signed 1817 Villas on East End Road for middleclasses become a feature of EE 1820 Reservoir drained, Park Place development starts 1821 Red Lion hill in existence 1824-44 Ten cottages built on allotment nr White Lion 1825 Prospect Place built to link EER to Hogmarket 1826 Regents Park Road 1827 Edward Butler renamed his house Cromwell Hall 1828 Prospect Place constructed 1829 Construction of Homefild House by Mark Plowman 1830 EF congregationalists build chapel on former common 1833-57 Anthony Salvin lived at Elmhurst 1840s bare-knuckle boxing at 5 bells 1841 Ossulstone Hundred dissolved 1841 Tithe map prepared for commutation survey 1841 Cottages built along Prospect Place 1842 School opened for infants at congregational chapel 1846 EF gets parish church Holy Trinity and school 1850s a pottery and brickworks stood where Baronsmere and Park Hall Rd are today 1850 second classroom opened at cong. chapel for older children 1851 Cottages and villas dotted along High Road between E and N Finchley 1853 Chapel Street built across former common linking chapel to marketplace 1853/4 St Pancras Cemetery opens 1854/5 Marylebone Cemetery opens on land purchased by St Marylebone burial board from Newmarket Farm (47 acres) 1857 Christ’s College Finchley founded by Rector 1860 EF becomes the most populous part of Finchley 1862 toll removed 1863 The Grange built (demolished 1994???) 1864 Order of the Good Shepherd moved to EER, East End House became a convent 1867 The railway is opened (East End Finchley becomes Finchley 1886) 1867 Oak Lane named
~ 4 ~
1868 Railway opened to Edgware 1868 5 bells rebuilt after fire (current building) 1870s Order of the Good Shepherd built a larger institution 1871 Trinity Road and Manor Park Road appear in the census 1872 Railway opened to High Barnet 1874-5 Trains run into Broad Street 1875 Congregational Chapel & school burned down 1876 St Pancras & Islington Cemetery bought Strawberry vale estate 1878 Congregational Church built whereViceroy Court is today (demolished in 1965) 1879 Ecclesiastical Commissioners granted 99yr building leases at East End 1880s rows of shops start to appear on High Road 1881 Hundreds of cottages built at East End 1881 Cong chapel school reopens as Board School 1884 Board School moves from chapel site to Long Lane (later called Alder School) 1890s Hog market mainly fizzled out, Aveton Road appears 1892 The Fuel Lands came under the jurisdiction of the Finchley Charities and became allotments 1883? Street lighting introduced to Finchley 1895 Local board becomes UDC 1895 Cong chapel sold to Roman Catholics 1897 Market Place named 1898 Metropolitan Electric Tramways opened between Highgate and Whetstone 1899 Finchley Divides into 3 wards 1899 there was an omnibus service every 15 minutes between Euston Road and Bald-faced Stag 1901 Sedgemere House sold for development 1902 Finchley Education Authority takes over Board School 1905 Tram lines installed by Metropolitan Electric tramways along High Road Archway to Whetstone 1909 Tram lines installed by Metropolitan Electric tramways along Woodhouse Lane 1909 Hamilton Walter Dickinson founded Hill View car manufactory (now carpet warehouse) 1911 Geo Sanger murdered at his winter  quarters at Park Farm EER 1911-16 British & Colonial Films had film studio at Newstead House 1911 Summers Brown Ltd made cricket bats at/on Glencroft, Church lane 1911-16 Films made at Newstead House by British & Colonial Films ( 1913 Holy Trinity church Hall built 1914 Large part of Homefield (near walks) leased to Finchley Presbyterian Lawn Tennis Club 1915 Finchley UDC bought Cherry Tree Wood (13 acres) from Ecclesiastical Commissioners 1916 Oak Lodge became a special school
~ 5 ~
1919 The Grange became a piano factory 1919 The Grange sold to Simms motors with six acres for £30,000 (production only in1926) 1920s part of homefield leased to Burton Bakeries 1920 The three ends of Finchley joined by continuous lines of buildings 1920 King Street and Park Road named 1920 Fortis green Road named (previously Park Gate then Muswell hill Road) 1921 Knightons sold for building 1927 Large bakery built on The Walks (Burtons, Merry Miller by 30s, Clarks in 1960s, closed early 1980s after fire) 1929 Prospect House demolished 1931 Former board school renamed Alder School 1932 council school renamed Martin School 1932 Glebeland (90acres) acquired 1933 Finchley becomes a Borough 1934 Cromwell Hall demolished; replaced by Abotts Gardens 1935 Land acquired for building of Grange estate 1935 Kingsway constructed 1938 Manorial rights extinguished 1938 First buildings of Grange Estate completed 1938 Trams replaced by trolley buses 1939 Elmhurst sold to developers 1939 Present-day Stanley Rd Field sold to Middx County Council for £3,407 1939 Northern Line reaches East Finchley 1940 Chapel (former cong now RC) destroyed by bomb 1941 All steam passenger services to East Finchley ended 1941 Alder School infants transferred to Martin School 1945+ Elmshurst Crescent and Pulham Avenue built 1951 The three wards subdivided into 8 1955 25 pigs kept around Prospect Place 1954-6 EF tower blocks at Market Place built 1959-62 All trolley buses disappeared 1960s Green Lane’s bridge over underground line demolished 1960s Causeway Cottages demolished 1972 Much of Convent of Good Shepherd burned down leading to housing estate around 1980 1964 Part of Poor Tom’s sold to Middx CC for new HT School 1965 Steam freight services through EF ended
~ 6 ~
1968 Simms Motor Units merged with CAV Lucas 1972 Homefild Cottages demolished 1973 Homefield House/Garage demolished 1975 Municipal estate built at Vale Farm replacing older houses 1975 New HT School opens 1977 CAV factory employed 1600 people 1978 Alder School closed, pupils transferred to Christ’s College 1980s Oak Lodge demolished, school transferred to Heath View 1991 CAV Lucas factory closed